L-NAME induced hypertension in rats - mice
This experimental model easily creates generalized nitric oxide (NO) deficiency that if prolonged, is responsible for a progressive increase in arterial pressure associated cardiovascular remodeling.
Cardiovascular features :
- progressive increase of mean arterial pressure
- cardiac and vascular remodeling if treatment period is sufficiently prolonged
Erectile function features :
- Dramatic impairment of erectile responses to electrical stimulation of the cavernous nerve after 4 weeks of L-NAME administration (10 or 50 mg/kg/d in drinking water) in anesthetized rats (figure 1).
- Dose dependent decrease erectile responses to electrical stimulation of the cavernous nerve following acute L-NAME intravenous injection (1 or 3 mg/kg) in anesthetized rats (figure 1).
|Figure 1: Effects of acute L-NAME (1 or 3 mg/kg i.v.) and chronic L-NAME (10 or 50 mg/kg/d p.o. for 4 weeks) on intracavernosal pressure (ICP) after ES CN in anesthetized rats (Pelvipharm internal data).|
- Chronic L-NAME is administered orally in drinking water
- Acute L-NAME is administered intravenously at the time of experiment
Links to applicable Experimental skills